30 noviembre 2012

Slainte

Ireland is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to--just figured I'd start with that!




Last Wednesday (21 Nov)I started my trip North on a flight to Barcelona.  I landed at night again and found my hostel around midnight.  The second I walked in the door, a motley group of adolescents invited me to join them for a 'pub crawl,' so I put my stuff away and went (you know, what the heck?)  Turns out they were pretty cool, 2 American guys, a Canadian girl, 2 Japanese guys, and a German- Lukas (more about him later).  The result of that night was realized at 8 am Thursday morning when I woke Lukas up & asked if he still wanted to come with me to La Sagrada Familia.  So about Lukas, he is probably the goofiest, most easygoing person I've met on this trip.  He also taught me a lot about German culture.  The whole night we were out he was singing & dancing --mainly Gold digger & other American treasures-- and he told me he'd take me around the city the next morning.  I amazingly was the one who found our way back to the hostel that night, but he had 2 maps in his pocket & kept saying, "I am ze map man!" So that's our little joke.  Around 11 am we parted ways & I headed off to the airport for Dublin!

Right off the plane I knew I was in trouble because this guy with a thick accent said, "Hello miss, may I ask what providence you're coming from?" I just looked at him with a dazed & confused face, so he said, "Espana?" I nodded yes & about 30 seconds later I realized he didn't think I could speak English! Anyway, I pass through customs & the man says, "Shannon Margaret? You must have some Irish roots!" So I said yes, sir & that it was my first time in Ireland & I was very excited.  I met up with Carrie & we went for a lovely Thanksgiving dinner-- I had an Irish pie (stuffed w/ turkey), mashed potatoes & gravy, so delicious. The next morning we went on a free walking tour with an energetic tour guide named Niamh who took us around all of Dublin & finished with a traditional Irish fairy tale (about Niamh & Oisin).

We went on a pub crawl that night.  The next day we walked around some more & went to the Jameson & Guiness factories.  We received certificates for pouring the perfect pint & enjoyed the fruits of our labor.



On the edge looking straight down (I know Mom won't approve)








The next day was by far my FAVORITE day since I've been in Europe, because we saw the magnificent Cliffs of Moher.



The Cliffs rise 120 m (390 ft) above the Atlantic ocean.  They are absolutely magnificent.  They don't look as big because we were standing on the top looking down.











We toured a family farm, 'hiked' up an Irish 'mountain' learned what a fairy tree looks like.  The trip ended in Galway, where we found Oktoberfest & a Christmas festival as well.  The next day I parted with Carrie & took a train up to Belfast.  This is in Northern Ireland, so I learned interesting things about the history between Ireland & England (with a more colorful vocabulary than anything I had learned in school)! I met up with friends, Jean & Laura, from my Alicante program & after we found a hostel we walked around the town then took a cab to West Belfast (where the Republicans are--safer for Americans) to spend the night with some hilariously drunk Irishmen.  The next day was a load of traveling (train back to Dublin, bus to airport, plane to Alicante, bus to city center) so I was exhausted and happy!
Also, for those who are wondering, Slainte means Cheers/to good health in Irish!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario